Saturday, July 24, 2010

references to clefts

I read a couple of books which have references to cleft lips. Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets, at the end, Prof Lockhart, says, " the witch who banished the bandon banshee had a hare lip. I mean, come on..."

I also read a book by Jeffery Archer, I think it was Kane and Abel, (great book!). I don't own this one so can't look up an exact quote but it was set in an immigration place in the USA and someone was turned back becuase they had a hare lip. I think it was set in about 1940. I was surprised that someone would have been denied entry because of a cleft. But I suppose it is a medical condition. I wonder if it is still something that would affect your ability to work in/ live in another country. I hope not!

El is still coughing like a trooper, even though she has been on antibiotics for 5 days. Will have to wait and see if we get a phone call on monday. Hope not. Have I mentioned that I hate waiting?

No comments:

Post a Comment