Monday, May 2, 2011

31 Days of May the CF Way - Day 1 Diagnosis

After having a super stressful first year with my second child, (Em had a cleft lip and palate, which meant three operations in her first 14 months, expressing milk, and feeding difficulties and lots of appointments) I was looking forward to having a nice normal baby. El had her heel prick test done at home and I didn't think anything more of it. I was a little concerned about a few things I had noticed and couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong, but didn't share my feelings with anyone.

We had just arrived home from swimming at about 10am on a Wednesday. El was asleep so I left J and Em playing and decided to have a lie down, when the phone rang. J answered and brought it in to me. The person on the phone said, Hi I am doctor such and such and I am phoning to tell you that El has had a positive result to one of her heel prick tests. I said which one. and she said, cystic fibrosis. My initial thoughts were of cerebal palsy and I thought no they've got it wrong. Then it clicked, I said that is a problem with the lungs? she said yes that is when I completly lost it and she said that somewone from the children's hospital would ring. And I was left alone. I had to calm down and phone A and tell him and wait for the hospital to phone.

We went to the hospital the next day and were introduced to a world of medication, physio, dieticians, social workers and realised that our lives would never be the same- ever.

LikeUnlike · · Share · Delete

No comments:

Post a Comment