Monday, May 16, 2011

31 Days of May the CF Way - Day 16 Hospital Mistakes

Thankfully, we have not been part of any major hospital mistakes in our journey so far! But two minor things have happened that have been a little scary!

The first was during El's admission earlier this year. The night before her GA for her PICC line the anaesthetist came to see us and we went through all the paperwork, signed her life away, and just before she left she said, No food after 6 am and no water after 10am.

The next morning at 5.45am I buzzed the nurse and asked for an early breakfast. Oh no, says the nurse, she doesn't have to fast till 8. She checked her paperwork which said 8am. I said no the anaesthetist said six. Anyway, even though she didn't agree with me I insisted that El have her early breakfast.

At about 12.30pm the nurse in charge comes in, clearly agitated and says, we have given her food too late, she won't be able to have surgery. I said, she has had nothing since six. She said, but the paperwork was wrong. I said I know but I did what the anaesthetist said to do. No food after 6am.

Thankfully, I didn't listen to the nurses and stood my ground on that one and El was able to have her surgery that day!!

The other instance was just recently at clinic. An OT came in to see us, a new one again! She starts with, we understand that the OT you usually see is concerned with El's speech and has spoken to you about it. I said No, I haven't heard anything, and I have no concerns. Oh, sorry I must be getting you mixed up with someone else. She went and checked and yep she had the wrong patient!!

Thankfully,my stories have only been minor mistakes.

Some stories I have heard from other CF Mum's are truly scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment